Escape to Dhikr-tory

The diary of a Londoner uprooting to a smallholding in Somerset to give the organic, green, and simple life a go.....

Monday, August 07, 2006

My First Egg

Well I didnt lay it but one of my 6 hens did.....

Having built up the confidence to look after the 8 chicks I now decided it was time for eggs. So off we trecked for an hour to a breeder's farm, picked up the smelly hens, stuck them in a cardboard box and an hour back to introduce them to their luxurious palace.

After 3 days then finally decided it was safe to venture out of the poultry house and after 7 days one of them lay the first egg. Still have not had another one out of them but we have at least started. Again, it was a sense of achievement; a boy-like excitement that something you were working on a watching finally happened.

Had it for breakfast on Sunday morning and boy was it tasty - I dont know if it was pyschological (forgive me if that is mispelt) but it did taste different.

Anyway we are now off on the egg production!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home