Escape to Dhikr-tory

The diary of a Londoner uprooting to a smallholding in Somerset to give the organic, green, and simple life a go.....

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

A very plesant pheasant

Had a nice suprise on Sunday. Went to the shed to check on the chicks and found these hanging there. No they did not commit suicide. A friend shot them and left them for us. I was waiting to try some pheasant for ages and that night we had a pheasant salad. It was nice - a bit dry (like turkey) but it did not really taste like anything - not even chicken although my wife thinks it tasted like pork! Will definetly have some more.

All on the small-holding is quiet. The fencing of the field is finally getting finished this week which means some sheep very soon! I think I am going to go for some Wiltshire Horns - they look nice, lamb quite easily and best of all you don't need to shear them in spring/summer. Their wool just drops off by itself and any little thing to lighten my workload is appreciated. All I need to do now is find someone with some good stock.

On Friday night we went rabbiting - I seem to have rubbish luck with rabbits. Either there are none or when I see one it legs it so quickly that I miss. I will bag one one day.....

2 Comments:

  • At 9:45 PM, Blogger NazzyHuckey said…

    hi!! this is fatima....do you know who killed your chickens?how do you know they didnt commit suicide?
    werent you shocked or summit because i would be if sumone killed my chickens or amything that belonged to me.lol

     
  • At 11:06 AM, Blogger cgtc said…

    hi, im olivia and i think that it is great that you decided to set up an organic farm. i was horrified when i saw the video and i havnt been to kfc or mcdonalds since!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home