Escape to Dhikr-tory

The diary of a Londoner uprooting to a smallholding in Somerset to give the organic, green, and simple life a go.....

Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Food Bin(s)


One of the joys of having chickens is that we no longer feel guilty when not finishing our dinners or throwing away that bit of pasta left in the saucepan (I was always brought up on that "there are children starving in Africa" thing). Now the chickens eat everything! We have a nice little routine now of having a bowl next to the sink and whenever there is the slightest bit of food we chuck it in there and I usually take it up to them after work. It's a funny site to see them all bouncing over to me in expectancy - "What's he got today? Pasta, noodles or if we are lucky cheese." They love cheese for some reason.

It's funny how these things become part of your life. The chickens are like having kids (although much better behaved). First things when I wake up its "gotta let the chickens out" and at night I have to tuck them away from the foxes and badgers. Even when we want to go away for the weekend we need to make sure a neighbour is going to be around to feed them. You can't but help form some sort of emotional attachment to them; although I still have no qualms about killing and eating them. I have already ordered another 12 chicks for my next cycle of chicken meat. This lot in the pic should see us through until Xmas (we only eat meat once or twice a fortnight) and then we'll have to wait for the next batch to get plump. Once I have all the fencing sorted out I am also going to try some different breeds and maybe some ducks too.

Our field is finally being fenced off - so I should have our very own little flock of sheep in 2 or 3 weeks. I think I am going to go for a Dorset Down breed - they are the lazy sheep that don't really do much except walk around. I may chuck in a couple of goats too later on down the line as I am keen to have some goat meat through the year too. So fingers crossed by next March I should be delivering my first ever lambs!

Anyway must dash - I am off to buy an air rifle today as I want to start adding rabbit to the dinner menu and our field is hopping with them!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home