Escape to Dhikr-tory

The diary of a Londoner uprooting to a smallholding in Somerset to give the organic, green, and simple life a go.....

Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Disaster (well not that bad)

It has been really really windy down here for the past few days. On Friday all my French beans keeled over from the wind. Managed to get them all back up, re-tied the bamboo together and all looked fine. The next morning all down again. Put them all back up again.

Same story the next day.

Then yesterday evening after a very long day driving up and down the county with friends I came back to see them down again; I had enough! What the picture does not show is the two plants I had growing on the right hand side - they were ripped out in a fit of frustration and and anger!! I did regret this after doing it but it made me feel better.

Anyway, I thought sod it for this year. So far I have got 3 Tesco bags full of beans which is plenty. So I am going to pull the lot out later today, pick what is left of the beans and stick some kale in there instead.

At least I have learnt not to use bamboo again. Next time I am going to drive a couple of metal poles into the ground with one across the top. The beans can then crawl along some string instead of bamboo.

This is what it is all about; trial and error.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home