Escape to Dhikr-tory

The diary of a Londoner uprooting to a smallholding in Somerset to give the organic, green, and simple life a go.....

Friday, August 11, 2006

Not much fun


As I want to be able to have sheep, both for myself and to sell, and to have them as organic as possible I can't use any sort of spray on my field. I spent 3 hours the other evening walking the field and chopping down thistles.

Twas rather boring and my back killed. Which reminded my to put up a post about how much hard work everything is. If you have land be prepared for a lot of hard work or spending a lot of money to get people to do it for you.

And I have only got rid of 80% of them...so another evening next week has gone.

On other fronts the new hens are all settled in nicely; they spend a lot more time now outside taking dust baths. One of them is still laying everyday like clockwork at around 5pm, always in the same place. The neighbours though have complained a bit about them and want them moved.... hmmm. Don't think so, unless they want to put up the electric fence themselves.

My runner beans were savaged by strong winds yesterday. Luckily I was out there at the time and caught them before they collapsed. Tip: if growing runner beans in an exposed area dont row them in a line - rather form a shape like a tipee. That's what I am doing next year as they are less likely to get battered by the winds.

My other veg are getting there. Lots of spring onions, lettuce on the way, carrots getting picked, fresh tomatoes every day. Check out my marrow - never even realised a marrow was an overgrown courgette! Anyway, I used to hate the things but I sliced it up, added some garlic, butter and pepper, under the grill for 10 minutes. My gosh! Fantastique as the French say.

P.S. I was having a bad hair day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home