Escape to Dhikr-tory

The diary of a Londoner uprooting to a smallholding in Somerset to give the organic, green, and simple life a go.....

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Wing-er Clippin' Good


Finally got round to clipping my hens' wings yesterday. They kept escaping from their electric fencing and walking around the garden which I didn't want. The process may look a bit horiffic but it does not hurt them. It is like us having our hair cut.

The idea is to cut back the flight feathers from one of their wings. When they then try to take off they dont have the balance to do so and sort of spiral into a crash.

In the process of doing all this I discovered their poultry house has red mites! Disaster has struck, so I am off to the farm shop to buy anything to kill the bastards before they kill the chooks.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:57 AM, Blogger prejudice said…

    I didnt know Hens could fly... and secondly... chooks?

     
  • At 10:42 AM, Blogger tomitv said…

    "chooks" is an Aussie term I think we adopted for chickens......
    Yes they can fly OK - not long distances though. Just enough to get them on a tree branch to perch for the night.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home