Escape to Dhikr-tory

The diary of a Londoner uprooting to a smallholding in Somerset to give the organic, green, and simple life a go.....

Monday, March 05, 2007

....and then there were 5

I thought the geese were going to be a good idea. Add some colour to the field, keep the grass down, etc. As usual the rose tinted glasses smashed within a week when we realised these things are bloody noisy. And when I say noisy I mean people being tortured at 5 am in the morning noisy. It was waking up Zak which meant waking us up and one of the neighbours mentioned it in that typically understated polite and English manner.

So I thought enough is enough and a couple had to go. So there I was in the field, pouring with rain trying to herd 7 geese into a pen so I could catch them. The herding them into the pen worked fine - you basically think like a sheep dog. Once they were in the pen though all hell broke loose and I had 7 geese running at me at 100 mph flapping their wings. This was man or mouse time.

It took me 3 attempts to catch one! Each time they managed to flap over the fence I put up or ram themselves under it. One managed to get his neck caught in the net so I pounced. The amazing thing with geese is that once they know the game is up they chill out. So off it went to be "dispatched" behind the shed.

I did 2 geese and gave one to a friend. So....5 left.

I also did a couple of chickens that night (one went into a tikka masala lasy night and my gosh the meat amazes me every time) and by accident went and did the last 2 remaning cockerals! I wanted to hold one back to see if I could start breeding from them but a bit too late for that as I ate them! You live and learn.

1 Comments:

  • At 3:18 PM, Blogger Stuart and Gabrielle said…

    Thanks for your advice on the phone today. As a non-Muslim, I'm persuaded by your arguments that for small-scale smallholders, your method of slaughter with a knife across the throat is about as humane as it gets.
    It's good to see you spreading the green message and interesting to see you make a strong link between your religion and environmentalism (I'm referring to the article in The Metro).
    We had 10 geese last year (all now eaten or else in the freezer) and really enjoyed their company. They are very characterful animals. Not all our friends can understand that we enjoy the company of our animals, even though they are not pets and ultimately for food. The fact that we enjoy their company and care for them whilst they're alive is, for us, completely commensurate with raising them for meat.
    Our latest additions are three guineafowl. These are completely different in character again, from our chickens and geese, and I recommend you get a few. If you get them young enough, you can get them hand-tame, otherwise you'll have to keep them in an enclosure as they are very good flyers! And they are apparently the best gardeners, as they love the creepy-crawlies more than the veg that you're trying to grow! We'll let you knnow on that one!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home