Escape to Dhikr-tory

The diary of a Londoner uprooting to a smallholding in Somerset to give the organic, green, and simple life a go.....

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Tired.......

I am knackered at the moment. Thoroughly cream crackered. On top of that I am feeling ill. It is times like these you just think why did I get myself into this. No matter how you feel the chickens still need feeding, the goats letting out, the seeds watering and then of course the kids and the full time job.

Oh well - "grin and bear" sums it up I suppose.

As the weather has improved we are starting to taste summer now and its time to get busy. I have lots of seeds to plant although I need to go over my veg patches again with a rotivator. I'm doing loads more veg this year to hopefully see us 80% self-sufficient for the summer. Everyting from beans to carrots to salads to herbs. I have some chillie seeds in the utility room as well as tomato and cauliflower. As soon as they are big enough all will go outside. I am so looking forward to doing it all again this year - last summer was bliss as you could finish work at 5.30 then get a good 3 hours in outside in the hazy sunshine.

There's not much else been going on. Got a few more chicks in, 20, to fatten up. The goats are doing really well although I must admit I completely forgot to trim their hooves and they are madly overgrown! They are a priority for the weekend.

I have also perfected my technique with chicken killing - will post more details once I have some photos.

I also got a but more media coverage this week. The Times Online did a small piece on my organic halal initative. Read the article here.

2 Comments:

  • At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Salaam Aleykum !

    Original link into timesonline is not working. Here is a good one: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/real_food/article1544395.ece

    Inshallah I will help you on farm during Summer.

    Brother from Poland

     
  • At 5:44 AM, Blogger Eagle said…

    Hi Tomity, I have just been looking to see if my Aunt Audrey is still operating the goat farm "Eaglemead". I will try to contact her, but if you see her let her know that I have come across your website and I would like to contact her.I am pleased to hear that she is well.

    My email eeaglemead@bigpond.com
    Cheers Elynne Eaglemead in Australia

     

Post a Comment

<< Home