Escape to Dhikr-tory

The diary of a Londoner uprooting to a smallholding in Somerset to give the organic, green, and simple life a go.....

Monday, October 02, 2006

R.I.P

The day finally came. After 14 weeks under my care, of my waking up at dawn to feed him, giving him water and making sure he was safe from foxes, as well as tucking him in dusk, cleaning out his poultry house and the odd bit of banter here and there about the hens, his number was up.

It wasn't a difficult choice. I decided who the fatest looking roosters were, caught them both, felt their weight and the heaviest was whipped off for a quick cut of the neck behind the shed.

The other one, although escaping death on this occassion, can not escape though and his time will be up next week!

I must admit I did feel a bit guilty when I removed him from their pen. But after a couple of steps I remembered the taste of chicken (we haven't eaten any for 5 months!) and that soon vanished. I had my local mate, Mr Know It All, hold him down while the deed was done.

For those of you that don't know, the term "like a headless chicken" is there for a reason. Once they are dead their bodies go into this mad fit and start jumping and flapping everywhere. It must be some sort of delayed reaction or something? Anyway it was over in seconds.


The next step was to tie it upside down and start plucking. It was a lot easier than I thought; literally grab the feathers and rip. A few minutes later and some discussion over Van Persie's wonder goal at the weekend it was well and truly plucked. All that remained was these little long white hairs everywhere which are singed off. And that, was pretty much it.

The only thing left to do was the insides and get it dressed for the oven. I didn't actually do the gutting bit, left that to my mate. But next time I am going to learn so I can do it myself from now on. So, in the space of 20 mins it was all done and dusted.


That night we had some guests over and I cooked a Sunday roast. Only once the meal was served that I realised everything on their except the potatoes were from my garden! The chicken, carrots, beans and sweetcorn all organic and grown by own hands! A real sense of achievement.

Anyway chicken number one - R.I.P - you tasted great and done us proud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home